MANUFACTURING CNC OPERATOR
The role provides vital support to set and operate defined machine resource producing a product portfolio to meet design criteria. The post holder will be responsible for setting and operating defined machine resource producing a product portfolio to meet design criteria. Reporting to the Team Leader in the Machine Shop and will be responsible for the machine resource during operation and the tooling and fixtures (status, usability and cleanliness) specified for the process activities undertaken.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To set (tooling and fixtures) and run (proven program) designated CNC resource, as defined in the work instruction, within a defined manufacturing process.
- As above however in liaison with Manufacturing Engineering program-prove, prove tooling package and thus the activity prove-out of new process activities.
- The ability to carry out a minimum level of minor/ basic editing of CNC programs.
- As an output submit a near net shape and quality part for first-off inspection. Thereafter liaise with the quality team to close any defined gap between submitted work piece and design or stage drawing requirement.
- Where applicable, and aligned, work to defined Inspection Control Plans (ICP).
- Carry out any data capture required to improve process capability and control e.g. Statistical Process Control (SPC) and / or Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE).
- Ensure that work is moved on to the next work centre on completion of current operation.
- To support the business to meet defined KPIs e.g. On Time Delivery.
- To ensure health & safety requirements of the individual and team members are met.
- Actively support continuous improvements activities throughout the business.
- Support the process to ensure all necessary tooling, materials and documentation is available to facilitate on time manufacture.
- Support the development and maintenance of a multi-skilled workforce by training colleagues as and when necessary.
- Undertake any training identified / specified to achieve acceptable/ improved levels in a personal skill-set.
- Support the development and actively encourage a team culture within the machine shop manufacturing areas.
- Maintain systems and procedures to enable continuing compliance with ISO9100 quality standard.
- Work with/support multi-disciplined teams in the introduction of new products and production processes into full manufacture.
- Maintain a high standard of housekeeping and cleanliness in the machine shop areas.
Knowledge & Ability Required
- Demonstrated experience in CNC machining (Milling and / or Turning and / or Mill-Turn) of high precision products from a variety of materials and forms i.e. solid, castings or forgings.
- Demonstrated experience in a high value, low volume mechanical manufacturing environment.
- In-depth knowledge of Fanuc controls.
- A demonstrable ability to problem solve is desirable.
- Having a Secondary skillset(s) e.g. another CNC skillset, Manual Turning, EDM, Rotary and / Cylindrical Grinding etc. is a distinct advantage.
- A demonstrable background in delivering Continual Improvement ideas is an advantage.
- Computer literate.