Horstman Defence Systems Limited, Bath, UK
We are looking for an experienced Manufacturing Engineer to join our team to develop and affect manufacturing solutions for Horstman Defence Systems products.
- Understand the requirements of AS9100 quality system and the effect on manufacturing solutions.
- Provide manufacturing solutions to a cost and time effective plan.
- Construct process method operations sheet to include inspection, machining, heat treatment and finishes for manufacturing solutions using Syteline.
- To check the availability of all standard tooling and gauges and inspection equipment and provide accordingly either from a made in or bought out source in conjunction with Quality engineering.
- Provide working stage drawings (SKP) using Solid Works System to support shop-floor Manufacturing.
- Provide CNC programs for CNC Machines, (Milling, Lathes, Mill-Turns & Wire cutting EDM), using SolidCam system.
- Prove out manufacturing methods on CNC Machines and hand over to the operations function.
- Maintain Kan-Ban and tool vending system to provide cutting tools and equipment to support manufacture of components within the budget constraints of a contract.
- Design jigs & fixtures to enable cost effective and efficient manufacturing processes.
- Provide working drawings using Solid works System to support fixture design.
- Prepare Bills of Materials (for make to print components) for Syteline system using customer drawing data.
- Provide a service to the operations function to offer help in overcoming manufacturing challenges.
- Understand the requirements and workings with health and safety legislation.
- Support contacts for customer Tenders, entailing the sources and pricing of materials goods & services, detailing manufacturing processes and times.
- Work alongside approved sub contract machinist to ensure there are no manufacturing or quality issues with products and set up mirrored production methods where projects deem it necessary.
- Support the supply chain function in supplier development of sub contract machinists.
- Identify the need and opportunity for capital expenditure and prepare the business case for the Leadership Team.
- Lead the installation, commission and acceptance of new capital expenditure.
- Strive to improve current manufacturing processes, fixtures, and tooling under continuous improvement through traditional and innovative methods.
- Undertake other additional duties that may be required from time to time as determined by the company and/or your Line Manager.
Knowledge & Ability Required
- Degree level or equivalent in relevant engineering discipline.
- Extensive knowledge of machining processes.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of SolidCam CAM system.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of Solidworks 3D CAD Design software.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the practical application of Lean Manufacturing, Continuous Improvement techniques, including 5’s, 7 Wastes, 7 Quality tools, TPM and Statistical Process Capability.
- A team player with the ability to work on own initiative, and able to influence others by demonstrating a positive “can do” attitude.
- Ability to work at pace in a multi-project environment.
- Computer literate with an understanding of MS Excel, MS Word and MS Project.
- Good communicator at all levels.
- Good problem-solving skills
- Able to obtain a UK SC clearance.
The post holder will desirably have, or will be able to develop:
- Knowledge and understanding of the challenges of technology development, new product development and new product introduction projects.
- Familiarity with multinational projects subject to US ITAR and UK export legislation
- Experience in the use of industrial MRP, MRP-II or ERP tools; ideally Syteline
PLEASE NO AGENCIES