Horstman Defence Systems Limited, Bath, UK
Horstman is looking to recruit a proven engineering orientated buyer with minimum of five years’ experience within an engineering environment. The knowledge of supply of raw material to include awareness of engineering materials, machined components, forgings, castings and surface treatments is required. The ability to be able to interpret an engineering drawing and match the manufacturing requirement to approved supplier from our approved data base.
To work within a multi-functional open office forming close working relations with key team members. The ability to operate ERP system & knowledge of Syteline would be an advantage.
To operate within an AS9100 business process and maintain records and processes to this standard. An awareness of ITAR / Import regulations / Reach regulations & Incoterms desired.
The role will also include the need to carry out supplier audits and identify possible new suppliers which may necessitate overseas travel.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Raise purchase orders and amend purchase schedules for the supply of production material and consumable items on the ERP System
- Request quotations from suppliers for manufactured components, sub-assemblies and services
- Negotiating with key suppliers on their pricing, lead time and terms of contract
- Support the introduction of new products with new or existing suppliers
- Ensure items are purchased in a timely manner to provide continuity of manufacture within standard times.
- Ability to identify and drive cost down activities
- Ability to carry out supplier audits
- Ability to write/negotiate specific project based supplier agreements
- Liaise with suppliers to progress orders to meet internal customer needs.
- Review order acknowledgements for accuracy
- Respond to internal and external enquiries regarding purchase orders and associated deliveries.
- Support the planning function by providing accurate and concise information relating to supplier lead-times, schedules and deliveries.
- Ensure compliance of materials and services are to specification.
- Undertake problem resolution and seek support where appropriate.
- Monitor and feedback on supplier performance.
- Ensure purchases meet budget with targeted cost reduction activities
- Ensure procurement compliance to ISO9001 & AS9100
- Actively support continuous improvement activities throughout the business
Required Knowledge & Ability
- MCIPS level 6 qualified buyer, or actively working towards
- Ability to read an engineering drawing
- Understanding of engineering materials and processes
- Ability to prioritise and organise in a complex multi project environment
- Self-motivated with the ability to work off own initiative.
- The ideal candidate will have proven purchasing experience within an Engineering or Manufacturing environment
- Strong commercial awareness and the ability to negotiate.
- Computer literate with an understanding of Microsoft Excel, MS Word and MS Outlook
- ERP experience
- Excellent numerical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Positive can do attitude with a commitment to continuous development
- Full Driving Licence
- Must be eligible to work in the UK
- Currently hold, or be able to obtain, UK Security Clearance – clearance will be undertaken by Horstman
The post holder will desirably have, or will be able to develop:
- Experience of ERP
- Experience of working with an international supply chain
- Understanding of the requirements of US Defence import/export restrictions (ITAR)
- Ability to work within a multi-national defence company with a multicultural customer base, worldwide.