Horstman Defence Systems Limited, Bath, UK
We are looking for an experienced Commercial Officer to support and participate in business strategy, liaise with customers and provide proactive commercial support in the winning of bids and delivery of contracts.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Support the Business Development function in both business winning activities and commercial proposal development.
- Prepare detailed cost estimates and commercial proposals for prospective, new and existing customers.
- Ensure all costing and bidding activities are compliant with business and governance procedures, preparing documentation to obtain internal approvals in line with delegated authorities.
- Negotiate and finalise bids and contracts in line with business and governance procedures, with the support of the Commercial Manager and Head of Commercial.
- Process customer purchase orders and contracts in line with business and governance procedures, preparing documentation to obtain internal approvals in line with delegated authorities.
- Prepare formal communications to external parties such as commercial letters and proposals.
- Support the Programme Management function during the delivery phase of contracts with any contract and commercial matters.
- Work collaboratively with other functional stakeholders (e.g. Purchasing, Engineering, Operations, Finance) to solve any bid and / or project related issues.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of good customer relationships.
- Review, draft and negotiate bids and commercial agreements such as NDA’s, terms and conditions, MOU’s in line with business and governance policies, with the support of the Commercial Manager.
- Ensure all relevant export paperwork is obtained and correct i.e. licences, undertakings, export invoices.
- Ensure compliance with US and UK export control requirements, with the support of the Commercial Manager and Head of Commercial.
- Work within an assigned portfolio, managing workload, highlighting areas of conflict or priority.
- Prepare and maintain Commercial Management Plans relevant to the assigned portfolio.
- Provide data, input and / or support to meetings relevant to the assigned portfolio.
- Actively support continuous improvement activities throughout the business
- Undertake any other duties which may be required from time to time to meet the needs of the business.
Knowledge & Ability Required
- Degree level or equivalent experience in an appropriate discipline.
- Proven experience within a commercial orientated role.
- Resilience and tenacity to deal with periods of high intensity work notably during bid activity.
- Forward leaning, able to look at the broader strategy and outcomes beyond the immediate task.
- A good understanding, working knowledge of, or willingness and ability to learn:
- the various contracting environments in which the business operates e.g. UK MoD, US DoD, competitive markets;
- UK and US export control regulations; and
- contract terms and conditions for supply of goods and services.
- Excellent numeracy skills.
- Excellent communication skills both written and spoken.
- IT literate (Microsoft Office, Excel (intermediate skill level), and ERP platforms ideally Syteline).
- Be organised, able to multi-task and complete tasks against tight deadlines.
- Be detailed, methodical and thorough with a keen attention to detail.
- Be flexible with workload, supporting the other members of the Commercial Team where possible.
- Be able to obtain a UK SC and/or Known Consignor clearance if required.