Continuous Improvement Lead
Horstman Defence Systems Limited, Bath, UK
This role is a key position within a team responsible for the delivery of process innovation and continuous improvement initiatives across multi-jurisdictions. It will play an important role in helping to foster a culture of sustainable change through the creation and embedding of LEAN methodology through the RENK UP initiative, and the supporting framework, to deliver business transformation.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To identify and deliver service improvement activity across the business through employing process improvement methodologies and the application of innovative thinking
- To work with key business stakeholders, and multi-jurisdictional ‘RENK UP champions’, to build a continuous improvement environment to support an ongoing programme of change.
- To lead and facilitate LEAN/process improvement based workshops to drive ideas and solutions
- To support the delivery of better value and greater efficiency through the identification and elimination of unnecessary complexity within business processes and identification of better ways of working
- To identify trends and process variations as part of establishing a continuous improvement monitoring system
- To assist in the development and implementation of a ‘best-in-class’ continuous improvement strategy through the use of Hoshin Kanri.
- To take ownership of change initiatives from evolution/efficiency identification through to project delivery via internal governance and controls
- To elicit requirements and drive process change using staff interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, business analysis and workflow analysis
- To work with other team members and business services departments to devise new support material based on the revised processes, to include training, reporting and systems enhancements
- To actively monitor project risks to foresee/identify potential problems and proactively identify solutions to address in advance
- To ensure the business impact and project objectives/dependencies are identified, reported on and managed at all times
- To complete post implementation reviews to ensure successful delivery has been achieved and to ensure that improvements can be made for future projects
- Where necessary, support off site (UK and overseas) visits for CI activities.
- Deliver annual objectives set by functional manager.
- Supervise and co-ordinate CI activities.
- Undertake other additional duties that may be required from time to time as determined by the company.
Knowledge & Ability Required
- Minimum 5-7 years proven continuous improvement analytical experience from a similar role, including project management and business analysis
- Excellent understanding of continuous improvement concepts including Six Sigma, Lean, value stream mapping
- Ability to set-up, facilitate and lead service improvement/’WorkOut’ sessions with a range of business stakeholders (incl. Experience of process/value stream mapping)
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, including Project, Visio, Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- A ‘completer-finisher’ taking accountability for ideas from inception to delivery, in an environment that requires robust metrics to confirm success
- Experience of designing or implementing a framework of continuous improvement in a multijurisdictional organisation
- Experience of hands-on implementation of continuous improvement programs and Lean solutions
- Experience of identifying and eliminating the root cause of productivity and efficiency issues, and track record of following through to ensure closure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of employees, senior managers, and subject matter experts
- Strong analytical, project and product management skills, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret business needs and translate them into operational requirements
- Experience of the whole project life cycle, able to operate in the initial conceptual design stage, in the depths of system testing, and at each stage in between.
The post holder will desirably have, or will be able to develop
- Desirably accredited to Lean Six Sigma Green Belt
- Knowledge and understanding of the challenges of technology development, new product development and new product introduction projects.
- Familiarity with multinational projects subject to US ITAR and UK export legislation
- Experience in the use of industrial MRP, MRP-II or ERP tools; ideally Syteline