Horstman Defence Systems Limited, Bath, UK
The Design Engineer will work as part of the Engineering Team across a number of projects. They are expected to support the Lead Engineers in producing concept design solutions, detailed designs, engineering documentation and generating and updating 3D CAD models and 2D technical drawings. They may also support build and test activities, including hands on tasks where appropriate. Where delegated, they may lead specific design or test activities.
The Design Engineer is responsible for actioning engineering and design activities including supporting product development activities and problem resolution.
The Design Engineer will be articulate with good comunication skills, able to interface with in-house colleagues, suppliers and customers.
The Design Engineer is expected to proactively participate in, and when necessary lead improvement initiatives.
The metrics they will be measured against include sales, margin, milestone achievement, product safety, and timely implementation of continuous improvement initiatives.
Yearly goals will be derived in concert with the Principal Engineer.
The Design Engineer reports to the Principal Engineer.
The Design Engineer works within the engineering team, and across Horstman Group companies, and the wider RENK group companies from time to time.
The Design Engineer is responsible for delivering their work packages to a defined standard, budget and timescale. Where necessary, they may be responsible for the management of internal / external resources to deliver them.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties of the Design Engineer include:
• Working within the Engineering policies and processes.
• Be responsible for delivery of their own personal development plan actions.
• Be focused on delivery of goals, at pace.
• Be responsible for the delivery of agreed process improvement activities.
• Support customer visits and technical meetings.
• Interaction with Operations, Projects, Procurement, Quality.
• Generate purchase requisitions where necessary for delivery of budgeted activities and hardware, and seek authorisation when necessary.
• Working with other areas of the business, particularly the manufacturing, quality and operations teams to deliver engineering actions.
• Deliver design activities that have been made the responsibility of the Design Engineer.
• Working within the Design Engineering Team to create, update and control 3D CAD models, 2D technical drawings and engineering documentation.
• Working accurately in a data management system within a configuration controlled environment.
• Working within defined safety standards and testing processes and methodologies.
• Protect the business IPR when disclosing information to 3rd parties.
• Other duties as required.
The Design and Development Engineer will;
• Producing concept and detailed designs with justifications.
• Progressing documentation through the improvement form and engineering change control processes.
• Carry out engineering calculations to support design proposals.
• Create and manage documentation to support the understanding of the knowledge on which the design is based.
• Present and communicate designs and design changes.
• Contributing to internal design reviews.
• Support prototype build and test activities.
• Actively support continuous improvement activities throughout the business.
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITY REQUIRED
The post holder is required to have / be:
• A strong team player.
• Degree or an equivalent combination of experience and training in mechanical or related engineering discipline.
• A good command of mechanical engineering fundamentals.
• Drive and flexibility to maintain pace of work as priorities and customer requirements change.
• Ability to communicate designs effectively through written and verbal methods.
• Ablity to work accurately to defined processes.
• Ability to produce high quality output with attention to detail.
• A hands-on approach, able and willing to perform tasks effectively.
• Experience in the use of engineering computer aided design and analysis tools, configuration management systems and ERP tools.
• Willingness and ability to travel worldwide supporting business activities.
• Ability to obtain a UK SC clearance.
• Commitment to continuing professional development and education.
The post holder will desirably have, or will be able to develop:
• The ability and desire to work towards Professional Registration status with a relevant UK professional body.
• More than 2 years post qualification experience in a design or manufacturing environment.
• Experience of SolidWorks or similar 3D CAD modelling package.
• Experience of generating technical drawings and geometric tolerancing.
• Experience of hydraulics and high pressure oil and gas sealing technologies.
• Knowledge and experience in the use of PDM (Product Data Management) software.
• Knowledge and experience in the use of design analysis, verification and validation methodologies and supporting techniques such as FEA, FMECA, DFM, VAVE.
• A willingness to develop and learn new skills within an engineering environment.
• Self motivated and able to work with minimal supervision under own initiative.
• Able to generate high quality output with an excellent attention to detail.
• Professional, methodical approach to work.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Flexible attitude to work requirements to support design activities as necessary.
• A desire to innovate and strive for optimal solutions, seek better ways to perform and share lessons learned with peers.