Environment, Health and Safety Lead
Horstman Defence Systems Limited, Bath, UK
You will be responsible for co-ordinating, supporting and advising the business on all aspects of EHS across our 3 sites. You will be expected to implement, manage and monitor standards and processes so as to ensure all responsibilities associated with EHS within the business are adhered to. To influence site teams to ensure we follow safe working practices and procedures.
To influence the business in the ongoing development of a EHS culture.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- To ensure compliance with the company ISO45001 safety management system.
- Ensure the business meets its statutory HSE obligations including mandatory training, reporting, emergency arrangements etc
- Keep and maintain relevant HSE records.
- Monthly reporting to RENK and to Horstman Leadership on EHS metrics
- Responsible for the collating and reporting of Economic and Social, Governance (ESG) Data to RENK
- Ensure the business regularly reviews risk assessments, including all work equipment, machinery and operations.
- Ensure that all incidents, accidents and near misses are; investigated, documented and improvements are implemented
- Establish and monitor a programme of management system audits
- Regularly review training requirements for all areas of the business and ensure remain compliant. Create, publish and monitor roll out of toolbox talks on relevant topics
- Work with HR to maintain a regular health surveillance programme
- Keep up to date with all aspects of relevant HSE legislation, and communicate relevant changes to the business.
- Participate in ECG (Employee Consultation Group) meetings and hold health and safety meetings as appropriate to ensure all employees are aware of relevant health and safety matters.
- Liaise with external consultants, suppliers, customers, insurers, relevant authorities and solicitors as and when required.
- Support the business in business continuity issues and emergency situations, as required.
- To develop a strategy to implement the requirements of ISO14001 environmental standard into the business.
- To monitor and advise on potential energy efficiency savings.
- Undertake other additional duties that may be required from time to time as determined by the company and/or your Line Manager.
Specific Experience & Skills Required
- Demonstrable experience in managing HSE and developing a culture in previous roles
- Strong team-working and leadership experience, with the drive and flexibility to maintain pace of work as priorities and requirements change.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to collect, analyse HSE data and implement HSE improvement programs
- Experience of environmental waste control and reduction.
- Experience preferred within a manufacturing industry
- Demonstrable decision-making skills
- Excellent knowledge of Excel, Word & PowerPoint
- Ability to manage energy reduction program
- Strong multi-tasking abilities and excellent problem solving
- To be highly motivated with the ability to work well under pressure.
- Commitment to continuing professional development and education.
- The ability to obtain UK Security Clearance.
- Full driving licence
The post holder will desirably have, or will be able to develop:
- Relevant qualification in Health, Safety and Environmental field.
- NEBOSH Certificate
- Ideally hold or working towards a H&S/ HSE Diploma