Lead Control and Instrumentation Engineer
Horstman Defence Systems Limited, Bath, UK
We are looking for a Lead Control and Instrumentation Engineer, this will be a new role working within the Technology Delivery Team (TDT), to deliver and implement new technology developments to the Horstman business.
This is a hands on role that includes designing, developing, installing, managing and maintaining equipment which is used to monitor and control engineering tests, products, systems and processes.
Control and instrumentation strategies will apply to both Horstman product offering for use on customer vehicles, and to rig based test and development scenarios.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Designing, preparing and developing measurement and control strategies.
- Selecting and specifying instrumentation and associated ancillary equipment appropriate to the task at hand.
- Leading and developing in-house control and instrumentation capabilities, including people and resources.
- Planning, scheduling and managing control and instrumentation hardware and resources
- Authoring, updating and controlling associated documentation to support technology development activities.
- Create and manage the records of control and instrumentation activities, and support documentation demonstrating the adequacy of control and instrumentation products, methods and techniques.
- Cost effectiveness of activities
- When necessary, working accurately in a data management system within a configuration controlled environment.
- Undertaking work in a safe manner at all times, and supporting the development of safe working processes and procedures in line with relevant Health and Safety legislation and guidance.
Knowledge & Ability Required
This is a fast paced and demanding role. Key factors for success in the role will be a confident and assertive style along with the ability to influence and drive collaboration cross functionally and with customers and suppliers worldwide.
- Demonstrable skills in control strategies and the application of instrumentation techniques.
- Demonstrable skills in design and implementation of PLC and HMI configurations
- A demonstrable record of accomplishment working as a Control and/or Instrumentation Engineer.
- Experience in the use of electrical motors and motor control.
- A relevant qualification in Control, Instrumentation or Electrical Engineering.
- A good command of engineering fundamentals
- A hands-on approach appropriate to a small to medium business, able and willing to perform tasks effectively.
- The ability to solve problems and lead change in a challenging technology environment.
- Drive and flexibility to maintain pace of work as priorities and requirements change.
- Ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal methods
- Willingness and ability to travel within the UK and at times internationally.
- The ability to work on their own and with others as part of a team.
- Ability to obtain a UK SC clearance.
The post holder will desirably have, or will be able to develop:
- UK driving licence.
- Professional membership with a relevant professional body or the ability and desire to work towards this.
- Knowledge and understanding of the operational and environmental challenges of equipment mounted externally to tracked and wheeled mobile platforms.
- Knowledge of hydraulic circuits and of high pressure fluid systems.
- Knowledge and experience in the use of design analysis, verification and validation methodologies and supporting techniques such as, FMECA, VAVE
- An understanding of, and ability to work with, high-level computer technology
- Commitment to continuing professional development and education.
If you are interested in finding out more please email email@example.com to request a full job description or send a CV in application.
PLEASE NO AGENCIES