Manufacturing Engineer – Quality
Horstman Defence Systems Limited, Bath, UK
Horstman is looking for an experienced Manufacturing Engineer to join our Quality team. This role exists to improve the end-to-end supply chain quality performance of specific assigned suppliers and internal products or services. This includes: the management of supplier concerns; participation in and the leading of APQP activities both internally and external with customers and suppliers; leading problem resolution and other continuous improvement initiatives and activities.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Devise and own specific elements of the quality improvement road map. Support the implementation and subsequently maintain systems and procedures to ensure continued compliance withAS9100/ISO9001 Quality system and any project specific Quality requirements.
- Lead the implementation of specific, focussed ‘Quality Improvement Programmes’ to deliver year-on-year QCD improvements, utilising KPI analysis, Pareto, FMEA and other relevant tools and techniques.
- Record and generate supplier quality performance figures for the review of the Senior Management Team.
- Supporting the successful implementation and delivery of specific Advanced Production Quality Plans for New Product Introduction.
- Reviews and Map processes; support introduction of robust processes by utilising techniques such as PFMEA’s and subsequently control the processes using Control Plans etc
- Preparation and submission of specific Quality Approval documentation (FAI and/or PPAP submission) to customers.
- Working closely with Supply Chain Management, Engineering. Manufacturing and Programme Management on supplier selection for new products and services.
- Approving new products and services in line with Company procedures.
- Lead all activities associated with specific non confirming product containment incidents, finding root causes and ensuring robust and rigorous problem resolution.
- Ensuring the supply chain fully confirms and is compliant with the QMS.
- Take part in supplier visits and audits as required.
- Utilise R & R studies and SPC as the basis for driving on-going process improvements.
- Support design reviews and cost estimation activities as necessary.
- Where necessary support off site (UK and overseas) visits and manufacturing activities.
- Deliver annual objectives set by functional manager.
- Supervise and co-ordinate sub contract Manufacturing Engineering activities.
- Supervise and co-ordinate Central Inspection priorities and activities.
- Management of gauge calibration.
- Undertake other additional duties that may be required from time to time as determined by the company and/or your Line Manager.
Knowledge & Ability Required
- Minimum HNC/Degree in Engineering or Business related discipline (or equivalent)
- Experience gained in a manufacturing quality or supply chain quality environment, preferable in high volume manufacturing business to set the right standard.
- Experience of Quality Improvement programmes, Pareto, PFMEA or similar continuous improvement initiatives to drive quality improvements.
- Experience of utilising APQP tools and techniques.
- Experienced in the use and construction of PFMEA’s, Control Plans and FAI Reports.
- Extensive experience of statistical analysis, process capability and problem resolution tools (8D, 5 Why, 6 Sigma etc) and techniques.
- Extensive knowledge of AS9100 and ISO9001 to comply with company processes.
- A team player with the ability to work on own initiative, and able to influence others by demonstrating a positive “can do” attitude.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work at pace in a multi-project environment.
- Ability to obtain SC clearance.
The post holder will desirably have, or will be able to develop:
- Knowledge and understanding of the challenges of technology development, new product development and new product introduction projects.
- Familiarity with multinational projects subject to US ITAR and UK export legislation.
- Experience in the use of industrial MRP, MRP –II or ERP tools, ideally Syteline.
- Knowledge of TS 16949 and ISO14001 standards optional.