Horstman Defence Systems Limited, Bath, UK
We are looking for a Manufacturing Technician to work as part of a team of manufacturing engineers to develop and affect manufacturing solutions for Horstman Defence Systems products.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand the requirements of AS9100 quality system and the effect on manufacturing solutions.
- Provide manufacturing solutions to a cost and time effective plan.
- Support the creation of process method operations sheet to include inspection, machining, heat treatment and finishes for manufacturing solutions using Syteline.
- To check the availability of all standard tooling and gauges and inspection equipment and provide accordingly either from a made in or bought out source in conjunction with Quality engineering.
- Provide working stage drawings (SKP) using Solid Works System to support shop-floor Manufacturing.
- Provide CNC programs for CNC Machines, (Milling, Lathes, Mill-Turns & Wire cutting EDM), using SolidCam system.
- Supports prove out manufacturing methods on CNC Machines and hand over to the operations function.
- Design jigs & fixtures to enable cost effective and efficient manufacturing processes.
- Provide working drawings using Solid works System to support fixture design.
- Prepare Bills of Materials (for make to print components) for Syteline system using customer drawing data.
- Provide a service to the operations function to offer help in overcoming manufacturing challenges.
- Understand the requirements and workings with health and safety legislation.
- Strive to improve current manufacturing processes, fixtures, and tooling under continuous improvement through traditional and innovative methods.
- To cover a rota of Manufacturing Engineers and Technicians offering out of hours support to the production team
- Undertake other additional duties that may be required from time to time as determined by the company and/or your Line Manager.
Knowledge & Ability Required
- NVQ Level 3 in relevant engineering discipline.
- Knowledge of machining processes.
- Knowledge and experience in the practical application of Lean Manufacturing, Continuous Improvement techniques, including 5’s, 7 Wastes, 7 Quality tools, TPM and Statistical Process Capability.
- A team player with the ability to work on own initiative, and able to influence others by demonstrating a positive “can do” attitude.
- Ability to work at pace in a multi-project environment.
- Computer literate with an understanding of MS Excel, MS Word and MS Project.
- Good communicator at all levels.
- Good problem-solving skills
- Able to obtain a UK SC clearance.
The post holder will desirably have, or will be able to develop:
- Knowledge and understanding of the challenges of technology development, new product development and new product introduction projects.
- Familiarity with multinational projects subject to US ITAR and UK export legislation
- Experience in the use of industrial MRP, MRP-II or ERP tools; ideally Syteline
- Knowledge and understanding of CAD CAM software; ideally SolidWorks & SolidCAM.