Process Development Engineer
Horstman Defence Systems Limited, Bath, UK
The role provides vital support to the assembly / test function, product development and launch activities. The post holder is a key member of an established team responsible for delivering new and historical programmes. The post holder will be responsible for working closely with Programme Management, Engineering and equipment vendors/tooling suppliers, to ensure that the component and system designs meet our required quality and efficiency standards.
The post requires extensive knowledge of lean manufacturing techniques, PFMEA, Poka-Yoke, and best practice assembly / test processes.
Duties & Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the Engineering function, define and develop the required processes to deliver new products in-line with programme requirements.
- Work concurrently with the Engineering function to minimise product and process development lead times.
- Review current best practice within the manufacturing industry and evaluate and recommend how identified best practices can be utilised to deliver the most cost effective manufacturing solution.
- Own and utilise Design For Manufacture (DFM) techniques to ensure that new products are optimised for manufacture.
- Review and map processes; lead the introduction of robust processes by utilising techniques such as PFMEA’s and subsequently control the processes using Control Plans etc.
- Develop Technical Specifications, Work Instructions and SOP’s for new processes.
- Design and when required design the jigs & fixtures for assembly / test, to ensure efficient and cost effective assembly / test processes.
- Liaise with the manufacturing team during process development to ensure their input is captured and their buy in is achieved at the earliest possible stage of process definition.
- Define and implement planned maintenance programmes to minimise downtime.
- Undertake operator/supervisor/technician training on processes and equipment where necessary.
- Support Engineering with new product and new process introductions.
- Support the implementation and subsequently maintain systems and procedures to ensure continued compliance with AS9100 and ISO 9001 Quality systems and any project specific Quality requirements.
- Support design reviews and cost estimation activity as necessary.
- Where necessary, support off site (UK and overseas) visits and manufacturing activities.
- Prioritise assembly / test tooling, manufacture through either internal or sub contract routes.
- Support production Assembly and Test functions with day to day issues and consumable tooling requirements.
- Deliver annual objectives set by functional manager.
- Undertake other additional duties that may be required from time to time as determined by the company.
Knowledge & Ability Required
- Degree level or equivalent in relevant engineering discipline.
- Extensive knowledge of Assembly and testing techniques.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of Solidworks 3D CAD Design software.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the practical application of Lean Manufacturing, Continuous Improvement techniques, including 5’s, 7 Wastes, 7 Quality tools, TPM and Statistical Process Capability.
- A team player with the ability to work on own initiative, and able to influence others by demonstrating a positive “can do” attitude.
- Ability to work at pace in a multi-project environment.
- Computer literate with an understanding of MS Excel, MS Word and MS Project.
- Good communicator at all levels.
- Able to obtain a UK SC clearance.
The post holder will desirably have, or will be able to develop
- Knowledge and understanding of the challenges of technology development, new product development and new product introduction projects.
- Familiarity with multinational projects subject to US ITAR and UK export legislation
- Experience in the use of industrial MRP, MRP-II or ERP tools; ideally Syteline