Horstman Defence Systems Limited, Bath, UK
We are looking for a Project Engineer to work as part of the Programme Management Team. Supporting the wider Programme team and business in delivering specific set work packages into development, series production and business as usual projects.
They are required to undertake a variety of administrative and programme management tasks. They will help in planning and organising activities as well as carry out important operational duties. They will be embedded in the project team working alongside all departments including Engineering, Quality and Operations teams to deliver the project requirements.
The role supports the management of a portfolio of Projects and Programmes by collating timely status updates, identifying issues and problems for escalation to the Senior Programme Manager.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
The duties of the Project Engineer include:
- To ensure that internal databases (Quality and ERP) are maintained with latest product information
- To produce product specific project plans
- To monitor and co-ordinate with internal and external key stakeholders
- To monitor the plan ensuring all activities proceed to schedule
- To review and interrogate designs and CAD drawings
- To review and report status of work packages
- Communicate with all areas and departments within the business
- Work closely with production teams to communicate project/programme specific manufacturing requirements
- Highlight and resolve issues during production, requesting support where required
- Communicate updates on Business as Usual projects to the Project/Programme managers for effective solutions
- Manage low value projects on occasion
- Undertake other additional duties that may be required from time to time as determined by the company and/or your Line Manager.
The Project Engineer is in a position to have a profound impact on the success and reputation of Horstman with the customer and above all will adhere to high ethical standards.
Knowledge & Ability Required
The post holder is required to have:
- Mechanical/Production Engineering
- Product and Process development
- Project life cycle
- Understanding in both 2D and 3D CAD
- DFM Knowledge
- Knowledge of drawing standards
- Maintenance of BOMs
- Creation of technical documentation
- Ability to produce high quality output with attention to detail
- Ability to work with diversity and multi-disciplinary teams
- Understanding of how a matrix organisational structure and ability to work within such structure
- Exceptional communication skills both written and verbal
The post holder will desirably have, or will be able to develop:
- Knowledge and understanding of the line operational and procurement challenges of tracked and wheel armoured vehicles
- Knowledge and understanding of the challenges of technology development, new product development and new product introduction projects
- Familiarity with multinational projects subject to US ITAR and UK export legislation
- Experience in using ERP tools
- Commitment to continuing professional development and education; for example PM qualifications, risk management, and team leading courses
- A willingness to develop and learn new skills within a team environment
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision under own initiative
- Professional, methodical approach to work
- Flexible attitude to work requirements to support project activities as necessary
- A desire to innovate and strive for optimal solutions, seek better ways to perform and share lessons learned with peers.
- Ability to work under significant pressure and maintain sense of humour.