Horstman Defence Systems Limited, Bath, UK
We are looking for Project Managers to join our experienced Programmes team, to provide project leadership to manage the delivery of projects on time.
The Project Manager is expected to proactively lead and manage their projects. The metrics they will be measured against include sales, order input, profit margin, milestone achievement, customer focus, timely programme status and proactive risk management and mitigation. Yearly goals will be derived in conjunction with the Programmes Director.
The role places the Project Manager in a position of full accountability for their project.
The Project Manager will typically run several small-mid size projects simultaneously, being a mixture of standalone projects on behalf of the Programmes Director, and sub-projects on behalf of the programme manager(s).
Above all, the Project Manager will adhere to high ethical standards. The Project Manager is in a position to have a profound impact on the success and reputation of Horstman with the customer.
Duties & Responsibilities
The responsibilities of the PM include:
- Lead and manage the project through liaison with the Engineering, Operations and Quality functions; including leadership of resources assigned to the project team. Our multi- disciplined teams include design and production engineers, commercial, sub-contracts, trade compliance, manufacturing and quality assurance staff. A key skill is the ability to motivate, communicate with and lead resources who report to their own line management; as well as negotiation for resources with stakeholders.
- Drive a customer focused and goal orientated project, at pace.
- Perform as the key point of contact with the Customer, providing timely, effective and open communication.
- Ensure the project is conducted in compliance with legal requirements and the highest ethical standards.
- Timely completion of project deliverables to budgeted cost.
- Identify mobilise and co-ordinate internal and external resources. Identify and define all required project plans, schedules, work packages including costs, risk registers. Provide input to budgets and sales revenues.
- Generate and issue progress reports and data, with support from Finance, Operations and Commercial functions.
- Identify and address any shortfalls in implementation of work or customer expectations
- The Project Manager is encouraged to be candid about programme status and to innovate and strive for optimal solutions, seek better ways to manage and share lessons learned with their peers and those who support them.
- Management of budget including approval of internal works orders and approval of purchase requisitions (within applicable signing limits).
- The Project Manager provides support to other areas of the business as required, including:
- Commercial and Sales activities to capture profitable new business
- Financial activities to ensure delivery within strategic budget objectives
- Compliance with Quality Assurance procedures and processes to ensure repeatable delivery of products and services that are fit for purpose.
- Work with the commercial function under the direction of The Business development director to support the creation of bids and proposals that require Project Management elements.
- The creation and population of the project handover document from the commercial department to the nominated Project Manager
- Actively support continuous improvement activities throughout the business
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge & Ability Required
The post holder is required to have
- Strong team-working and project leadership experience, problem solving in a technical environment
- Drive and flexibility to maintain pace of work as priorities as customer requirements change.
- Motivation and initiative, working equally well from the office, on the shop floor or at customer sites whilst keeping the Horstman Management chain briefed.
- A strong background in the engineering, armed forces and/or defence industry, and a sound grasp of Quality Assurance fundamentals
- Degree (2:1 or better) or an equivalent combination of experience and training in a relevant discipline such as mechanical engineering, manufacture, logistics.
- Proficiency with standard Microsoft Office tools and ability to use Microsoft Project to assess critical path and manage budgets.
- A sense of humour and an ability to work within a multi-national defence company with a multicultural customer base, worldwide.
- Ability to obtain a UK SC clearance
The post holder will desirably have, or will be able to develop:
- Knowledge and understanding of the operational and procurement challenges of tracked and wheeled armoured vehicles
- Knowledge and understanding of the challenges of technology development, new product development and new product introduction projects.
- Knowledge and understanding of the repair and overhaul and/or post-design support environment
- Familiarity with multinational projects subject to US ITAR and UK export legislation
- Experience in the use of industrial MRP, MRP-II or ERP tools (ideally Syteline).
- Good commercial acumen.
Commitment to continuing professional development and education, for example PM qualifications, Lean / six sigma courses, team leading courses.