Student Engineering Intern – 1 Year
Horstman Defence Systems Limited, Bath, UK
We are looking for a Student Engineer to work as part of the Design Engineering Team across a number of projects between Summer 2019 and September 2020.
The Student Engineer will be required to carry out design activities in support of the engineering team. These activities will include creating, updating and controlling 3D CAD models, 2D technical drawings and engineering documentation as part the company improvement form and engineering change control processes. The candidate may be given a specific project to deliver during your placement.
The duties of the Student Engineer candidate include:
- Working within the Design Engineering Team to create, update and control 3D CAD models, 2D technical drawings and engineering documentation
- Working accurately in a data management system within a configuration controlled environment
- Progressing documentation through the improvement form and engineering change control processes
- Some presentation communication of designs, and design changes
- Contributing to internal design reviews
- Supporting prototype build and test activities
- Working within defined safety standards and testing processes and methodologies
- Working with other areas of the business, including manufacturing, quality and operations teams.
- Performing other duties as required
Knowledge & Ability Required
The Student Engineer candidate is required to have / be:
- On a Degree course or studying for an HNC / HND in mechanical / electrical / electronic engineering.
- A good command of mechanical engineering fundamentals
- Ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal methods
- Demonstrate an ablity to work accurately to defined processes
- Ability to develop themselves to produce high quality output with attention to detail
The post holder will desirably have:
- Some experience of SolidWorks or similar 3D CAD modelling package
- Knowledge of generating technical drawings and the principles of geometric tolerancing
- An interest in hydraulics and high pressure oil / gas sealing technologies
- A willingness to develop and learn new skills within an engineering environment
- Self motivated
- Able to generate high quality output with an excellent attention to detail
- Professional, methodical approach to work
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Flexible attitude to work requirements to workplace activities as necessary
- A desire to innovate, seek better ways to perform, and share lessons learned with their peers.