Test Management Engineer
Horstman Defence Systems Limited, Bath, UK
The Test Management Engineer supports the Horstman engineering team and business, leading the definition, organisation and delivery of testing activities and documentation / reports. Particular emphasis is on the de-risking of prototype, development and production designs of Horstman products.
They ensure that an action orientated approach is taken to product development and problem resolution.
The post holder will be a capable and dynamic engineer, working confidently at the leading edge of technology, and capable of communicating with in-house engineers, suppliers and customers.
The Test Management Engineer is expected to support the design engineering team in delivering improvement initiatives, and work to the best of their ability.
They will support delivery of the business vision and engineering team metrics, including sales, margin, milestone achievement, product safety, and timely implementation of continuous improvement initiatives. They will be expected to contribute to supporting and meeting these metrics. Yearly goals will be derived in concert with the Engineering Director.
The role places the Test Management Engineer in a position to support the design, development, delivery and improvement Engineering Development function of the business, working with the Engineering Director.
Duties & Responsibilities
The responsibilities of the Test Management Engineer include:
· Develop robust working strategies.
· Production of test plans, and co-ordinate internal and external resource.
- Liaise with sales team to produce costed test plans for new product programs.
- Interaction with Operations, Project Management, Supply Chain, APQP and Finance.
- Support the collation of applicable Engineering metrics.
- Support the management of the development engineering budget including approval of internal works orders and purchase requisitions.
- Support fulfilment of Specific Engineering Contract Deliverables, e.g. PDS Contracts, Specific Design or development Contracts.
Overall Responsibility for:
- Support de-risking of technology on customer product critical path through appropriate rapid prototyping, experimentation and analysis tools and development engineering activities, including the practical testing of Horstman products.
· Ensuring work is undertaken within a configuration controlled environment.
· Support the Development Testing and Processes / Methodologies, with an emphasis on Safety.
· Ensure Horstman IPR and company trade secrets are protected.
· Delegation for the Engineering Director where requested.
· Other duties as required.
The Test Management Engineer will support the Engineering Director in his role as the Horstman Defence Systems Limited Design Authority, and will:
- Support and help maintain the knowledge of the design integrity throughout whole product lifecycle; including safety, detailed engineering substantiation and supporting design documentation under appropriate configuration control.
- Support the detailed understanding of why the design is as it is. Create and manage the records of development testing activities, and contribute these toward the support documentation demonstrating the adequacy of Horstman products.
- Capture and retain development testing inputs.
- Support / document the inspections, analysis, testing, validation and acceptance criteria used to verify that the design output meets the design requirements. This includes the production of comprehensive summary reports of results of testing and development activities.
- Document the assumptions made in all the steps above, including assumptions related to operating modes or procedures, and the implications of testing and operational experience on the design.
Knowledge & Ability Required
The Test Management Engineer will be professional in approach and performance, with strong communication skills.
The post holder is required to have:
- Strong team-working and leadership experience, problem solving and leading change in a challenging technology environment.
- Drive and flexibility to maintain pace of work as priorities and customer requirements change.
- Support the business drive to reduce waste.
- A hands-on approach appropriate to a small business, able and willing to perform tasks effectively where delegation is not possible.
- Proven understanding of the challenges of technology development, new product development and new product introduction projects.
- Degree (2:1 or better) or an equivalent combination of experience and training in a relevant discipline.
- Knowledge and experience in the use of formal design analysis, verification and validation methodologies and supporting techniques such as FMECA, DFM, to ensure manufacturing engineering and quality assurance best practice is embodied into the design. Experience of development, and procurement of test hardware, and working with sub-contract test resources.
- Experience in dynamic testing and instrumentation, including the use of strain gauges, thermocouples, load cells, pressure transducers, etc.
- Experience in the selection, management and use of engineering analysis tools.
- Experience in the collection and analysis of test data from dynamic product testing.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally.
- Ability to obtain a UK SC clearance.
The post holder will desirably have, or will be able to develop
- Chartered Engineer status with a relevant UK professional body.
- Knowledge and understanding of the operational and procurement challenges of tracked and wheeled armoured vehicles.
- Knowledge and understanding of the repair and overhaul and/or post-design support environment.
- Familiarity with multinational projects subject to US ITAR and UK export legislation.
- Commitment to continuing professional development and education.